NAVY BEAN AND HAM SOUP RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
|1 (16 oz.) package dried navy beans, soaked overnight according to package directions, drained, and rinsed|
|4 cups water|
|2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth|
|1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 small onion)|
|½ cup chopped peeled carrot (2 carrots)|
|½ cup chopped celery (3 celery stalks)|
|1 garlic clove, minced|
|1 bay leaf|
|½ teaspoon black pepper|
|1 large, meaty roasted ham bone|
- Place beans, water, broth, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, bay leaf, and pepper in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker; stir to combine. Place ham bone in center of mixture. Cover and cook on HIGH 6 hours or LOW 8 to 10 hours until beans are tender. Remove ham bone and any gristle. Return any ham meat to soup.
CROCK POT NAVY BEAN & HAM SOUP | JUST A PINCH RECIPES
You can make this soup with different types of beans if you prefer too.
This soup can be made on the stove top too if you don’t have a crock-pot.
Provided by: Karla Everett @Karla59
Categories: Bean Soups
Cook time: 8 hours
|1 pound(s) small navy beans (or your favorite bean)|
|1 – onion ; chopped|
|2 stick(s) celery ; chopped|
|3/4 cup(s) chopped carrots|
|2 tablespoon(s) chopped garlic from a jar|
|1/2 teaspoon(s) pepper|
|2 – bay leaves, dried|
|– leftover ham bone with meat on it|
|1-1/2 cup(s) chopped up ham ; optional|
|4-5 cup(s) water|
|– broth from the cooked ham|
|3 tablespoon(s) fat from ham broth|
- Sort through the dry beans and dis-guard any bad beans or rocks you may find. Place in water and soak over night with 2 teaspoons of baking soda.
- Drain and rinse the beans well.
- Chop the onions , carrots and celery , I like to use some of the celery leaves in mine.
- Place cut vegetables in a crock-pot with the beans and Add a meaty ham bone that was left over from a previous dinner and extra chopped up ham meat if you want more meat.
- Add the left over juice and some of the fat from the cooked ham , it will be jelled once it’s cold.
- Add the water and the remaining spices.
- Cover and let cook for atleast 6 hours and remove the ham bone and remove the ham off the bone and return the meat to the soup ; I like to mash some of the beans at this time , Cook for 2 more hours.
- I like to serve my soup with some good ole corn bread….yummy…enjoy!!
How to cook Ham in a crock pot with beans?
Put the beans and cooking water in the slow cooker with the diced carrot, celery, onion, and ham or ham bone. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 9 hours, or until the beans are tender. Remove the ham hock or ham bone and discard skin, fat, and bone (if using several pieces of boneless ham, ignore this step).
How do you cook navy beans in a crock pot?
Just add the dried navy beans, water, broth, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, and bay leaf to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Stir the ingredients, then position the ham bone in the middle of the mixture. Cook the soup on HIGH for 5 hours or LOW for 8 to 10 hours. You’ll know when the soup is done cooking because the beans will be very tender.
How to cook beans in a slow cooker?
Drain the beans thoroughly and put them in a Dutch oven, large saucepan, or stock pot and cover with about 6 cups of fresh water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and simmer for about 30 minutes. Put the beans and cooking water in the slow cooker with the diced carrot, celery, onion, and ham or ham bone.
How to cook ham bone soup in a slow cooker?
Directions. Drain and rinse. Place 15-bean soup mix, ham bone, cooked ham, chicken broth, water, onion, carrots, great Northern beans, garlic, black pepper, salt, and bay leaf in a slow cooker; stir to combine. Cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours.